While canvassing my petition sheets, voters asked me: Who are you? What have you done? Why should I sign your petition sheet? Why should I vote for you?
My name is Marlene Fisher and I am a candidate for 5th Ward Alderwoman for the Chicago City Council. I am a community organizer residing in Greater Grand Crossing. I have cleaned up empty lots and created safe green spaces by removing blight. I was featured in Forbes Magazine for my efforts. I am a community leader who has worked to make the Greater Grand Crossing neighborhood safer and a housing destination of choice. I look forward to using those skills for the entire 5th Ward.
I am ready to tackle challenges brought on by violent crime, rising rent, economic disinvestment, and community apathy. I will take advantage of grant opportunities and support city initiatives to further economic investment in the ward. I will collaborate with entrepreneurs to grow businesses, and work with stakeholders and chambers of commerce to bring innovation and economic development, along with desired amenities to our community.
Economic investment and public safety go hand in hand. I will fight to allocate for more resources for violence prevention and victim support. Together, we must employ creative solutions to fill the officer vacancies because safety is important where we live, work and play.
Residents must feel safe to invest in our neighborhoods. I have personally experienced the benefits of equitable and affordable housing. It is vital to offers housing options for residents of all income levels to maintain the diversity that makes the 5th ward so special.
As your alderwoman, I will keep the 5th ward moving forward. I will support and introduce policies to help our neighbors stay in their homes and ensure everyone has an opportunity to enter the housing and rental markets.
When you call the office, I will answer the phone!
TOGETHER, WE CAN
BUILD. GROW. PROSPER.
- Graduate of Bradley University, BS in Business Computer Systems.
- Technology Professional with over 25 years of experience with technology implementation projects.
- Currently employed by University of Chicago as a Senior PeopleSoft Security Administrator.
- 5th ward residence: 67th and South Shore, 73rd and Oglesby. Currently residing at 73rd and Greenwood in Greater Grand Crossing.
- Bought a home in the Revere Way affordable housing development. With first hand experience living in an mixed income community.
- Greenwood University Block Club President
- Featured in Forbes Magazine
- Featured in Block Club Chicago
- Member Nature, Culture and Human Health Network (NCH2) Steering Committee http://www.nch2.org/about.html
- Founding Member of Bradley Black Alumni Alliance
- Project Lead Habitat for Humanity
- Chicago Excellence in Gardening Awards Volunteer Judge (3x winner)
- Master Gardener and Urban Farmer